Its homemade pizza time!!!! If you haven’t made pizza from scratch at home – you are sorely missing out. It may seem difficult – but I can promise you it is completely manageable. This recipe that I’m sharing with you is my families re-creation of our favourite Margherita pizza with prosciutto crisps. Inspired by our many dinners out to Famoso Pizza – which we all pronounce fah-mo-sa for some reason!
When we would go to Famosa for a family dinner out, this was my papa and my moms favourite pizza to make! A classic Margherita – basil, tomato, mozzarella but add EXTRA prosciutto crisps – so salty and delish! I love mushrooms personally so I added those to my pizza this time around – I know mushrooms are either a love or hate for people so please omit them if you aren’t feeling the shrooms.
Furthermore, for the pizza dough part of things, my mom always made ours homemade – I will link a pizza dough recipe here. You can totally make your own – it’s not as hard as people think. Otherwise, you can buy a frozen pre-made dough ball from your local grocer or bakery. Ask the staff! Almost all places have them hidden away somewhere. I get mine from Safeway or Thrifty Foods in the deli/bakery area! You just need to have time to thaw it out on the counter or in some hot water (keep the dough in the package). I like to roll the dough out until its about 1/2 an inch thick for a medium pizza crust. If you like thin crust – go to 1/4 inch. Alternatively, if you like it thick, go about 1 inch thick.
All in all, making homemade pizza is a fun experience! You can make individual ones up by splitting the dough into smaller portions so everyone can pick the toppings they want, or you can make one big yummy pizza like the recipe below!
I hope you enjoy this Margherita pizza with prosciutto crisps! You won’t regret buying the prosciutto and crisping it up for this pizza – the flavours are unreal. Happy Pizza Making!
This homemade Margherita Pizza with prosciutto crisps, sauteed mushrooms, fresh basil, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese will have you singing something italian real quick. This is a magic combo of salty, fresh toppings that make for a really fun and tasty night around the dinner table. Make sure you let the pizzas cool down before devouring - dont be like my family and burn your mouth everytime...we are impatient when it comes to piping hot homemade pizza!
- 2 Pizza dough rounds
- 3 Cups of tomato sauce
- 2 Cups fresh basil
- 1 Package of fresh mozzarella
- 2 Cups of shredded mozzarella
- 1 Package of Prosciutto, crisped
- 2 Cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Cups mushrooms, sliced and cooked
Preheat the oven to 425° F.
1. First, make your pizza dough or if you have store bought frozen pizza dough, leave it out to thaw in a bowl of hot water for an hour or so.
2. Next, wash and slice the mushrooms. Place them into a pan and cook them on medium-high heat for roughly 5 minutes, add a bit of salt and pepper halfway through cooking.
3. Next, rip the prosciutto up into a pan on medium-high heat, and stir around until its crisp and golden. Remove from pan when crisp - about 10 minutes. When its cooled it should crumble easily!!!
4. Shred the mozzarella cheese and slice the fresh mozzarella into ½ inch pieces (you should have 1 cup of shredded mozzarella and 9-10 pieces of fresh mozzarella for each pizza.
5. Roll out the pizza dough with rolling pin on a floured surface. It doesn’t have to be perfect, personally like in between a thin crust and thick crust pizza. I roll my dough to be about ½ an Inch thick!
6. After your dough is all ready to go and all of your ingredients are ready, start to build your pizza!
7. Place the tomato sauce down, then the mushrooms and prosciutto crisps. Then add a layer of shredded cheese (about 1 cup) and add the halved cherry tomatoes on top with the slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. Rip the basil leaves in half all over the pizza – they should be in decent sized pieces because they cook up!
8. Repeat for pizza #2 and then drizzle both with olive oil. Place the pizza's into the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy!
Serving Size:1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250